Saturday, January 10, 2009

ON BOOKS ~ Bookshelf Peep Show...



Well - I de-clare! I have joined the blog world's version of Tag, thanks to Margot @ Joyfully Retired. You see, Eva @ A Striped Armchair created The Bookshelf Meme as follows:


"It quickly becomes apparent from reading book blogs that books are not only a collection of words on paper, but also physical objects that we treasure."


With that in mind, she would like a brief glimpse onto my bookshelves! Wouldn't all you lurkers - I mean visitors. So I give in - here's a peep show for you all:


Tell me about the book that has been on your shelves the longest...


This is 1 of my 2 favorite books. I stole it from my mother who had it from when she was younger. I like to re-read it every other year or so and the binding has worn out. I keep it held together with a stiff rubber band and turn the loose pages ever so gingerly. I like the musty smell and the yellowed look. A true personal treasure.

Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (i.e. a person, a place, a time, etc.)...


The first course I took for my Elementary Education major in college suggested that we all read this book. I was a bright eyed and bushy tailed freshman believing in all that was good in the world and how I could make a real difference with children. I have been working in the Financial Services industry from the moment I graduated. But a part of me still clings to that time and this book is a wonderful journey.

Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used book store, prize, etc.)...


This is the other of my 2 favorite books. I didn't know it was my favorite until Andy gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago - he thought I had already read it. Until then I had only seen the movie and heard how incredibly close it came to the awesomeness of the book. Now I know. We are going to see the play this Spring. Looking forward to the trifecta.

Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves...


I don't buy books unless I am in an airport without something to read. I borrow everything from the library or my mother. So I guess the newest addition to my shelves is Tedy - peering over the top looking for some of those bookworms he keeps hearing about.

Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places...


For the longest time this book stayed in Andy's Jeep in the event that we found ourselves on a random drive. It has been with us from early dating day drives to our honeymoon. Now it is on the bookshelf where it helps us plan our next adventures and gets packed to ride along in the rental cars.

Tell me about a bonus book that doesn't fit any of the above questions...

The only thing I can think of is the old Atlas that Andy found in one of his old apartments he rented. You can see it next to Tedy on top of our bookshelf. It goes back to the late 1890's we think - the important page with that detail is MIA. It is wonderful because it is about as old as our current home so it is fun to flip through it and find out what the world was like for the people who built our home.

The Rules


1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.


Sooo - I Tag the following cool bloggers and encourage you to visit them - I promise - no Cooties...

8 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

This is a great meme. It is fascinating to me to read the variety of answers. However, I must say that of all the answers I have read, I have never seen the answer to #4 be a cat! I love it!

P.S. I think I am going to join in on your Movie Meme. You guys are alot of fun, and I need to expand my horizons beyond books a bit.

Jenners said...

Oh this was wonderful! I wonder if I could just do it without being tagged? Is that verboten in the blogging world?

Alyce said...

The old Atlas sounds like it would be neat to look at!

I'll probably have mine posted some time tomorrow. I'll come back and leave a link when it's up.

Unknown said...

Okay, you got me. Hope I did it right.

http://adellelaudan.blogspot.com

Karen Harrington said...

Ah, thanks for the tag. I will look forward to doing this one!

Best,

Karen

Anonymous said...

You did an excellent job with your answers. I got a little misty-eyed reading about your copy of Sound and Fury. I really like your pictures of the actual books and your bookshelf. You made it very personal. Good post.

Eidin said...

I like the photo of your crouching tiger guarding your books.

Alyce said...

Here's my post:

http://athomewithbooks.blogspot.com/2009/01/bookshelf-meme.html