Monday, March 30, 2009

ON BOOKS ~ The Book of Lost Things...

MizB asks you to:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page.
  • Share the title of the book the teaser comes from…that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

From pg. 97 of THE BOOK OF LOST THINGS by John Connolly (fiction)...

"He was starting to wish there was someone around who knew a little more than the Woodsman. The Woodsman was fine for decapitating wolves and giving unwanted advice, but he didn't seem to be keeping up with developments in the kingdom."

Oh what a delightful ride this gem of a book is providing! More Brothers Grimm than Mother Goose - with a touch of The Princess Bride and a dash of Monty Python. I can picture a movie in my mind so clearly - and it turns out the rights were sold a few years ago so maybe soon we'll get a rollicking film! Very clever tale of a boy suffering through personal losses and the lessons he learns from familiar fairy tales orchestrated by the Crooked Man. There's no place like home indeed.

14 comments:

Erika Powell said...

I have heard really great things about The Book of Lost Things and i really like your teaser.

Carrie K. said...

I have this on my TBR pile - I'll have to move it closer to the top!

kayerj said...

sounds like a fun read

Sadako said...

Sounds awesome--I love both the Brothers Grimm and the Princess Bride, so I'll try to read it.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I've seen many bloggers reading this book. Hope you're enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I love this teaser. It's the first one today I've added to my list by teaser alone. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

A great teaser from a great book - enjoy!

Lynn said...

This sounds like a great book. I love seeing what you're reading; you always give me good ideas :) I'm currently reading a well-written non-fiction book called Tail of the Storm: Flying Missions in the First Gulf War by Alan Cockrell. He's a pilot and co-worker of my brother's. Interesting book -- I love it when someone can take a topic I wouldn't ordinarily be that interested in, and make it intriguing enough for me to want to read on. Cockrell has done that :)

Catherine @ The Blonde Diaries said...

Ahh yeah I could see how he wouldn't know all of the latest gossip with that description.

Never heard of the book. I'll have to check it out.

Jenners said...

I read this one too! It is a strange little book that was way more violent than I anticipated. I thought it was maybe for children but I don't know. I'm interested that it will be a movie!!!! It does read like a movie, I'll give you that. have you read any other John Connolly books? I read this first and then sought out his others; they are more "standard" type thrillers.

me said...

Like Monty? Where do I sign up?

Alyce said...

I have this one on my shelf and I'm really curious to see if it's one I will like.

Here's my post.

Green said...

I will have to find my book first :( sorry....

Anonymous said...

I'll have to look this up. I read White Apples by him earlier this year and thought it was great.