Monday, June 29, 2009

ON BOOKS ~ Notes From A Small Island...

MizB asks you to:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page.
  • Share the title of the book the teaser comes from…that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
  • Please avoid spoilers!

From pg. 301 of NOTES FROM A SMALL ISLANE by Bill Bryson (fiction)...

"How is it possible, in this wondrous land where the relics of genius and enterprise confront you at every step, where every realm of human possibility has been probed and challenged and generally extended, where many of the very greatest accomplishments of industry, commerce and the arts find their seat, how is it possible in such a place that when at length I returned to my hotel and switched on the television it was Cagney and Lacey again?"


7 comments:

Caspette said...

I have read some of his books. Most of the time they are funny and other times I find him a bit snobby. But perhaps that might be because in his book about Australia he bagged out my home town because he stayed in a hotel that not even the locals stay at!

My Tuesday Teaser is here.

Anonymous said...

I've never read him, but this teaser is funny. I probably wouldn't pick this one up since I've not been to England, but I'll have to look at a few of his others.

kayerj said...

sounds like a must have!

the rwanden holocaust book I blogged about is very positive. She acknowledges the horror, but the story deals with her faith and how it helped her survive. It was very powerful.

Penny said...

I love this idea! I love reading so this was intriguing :)

Phyl said...

Bill Bryson is hysterical, isn't he? This is a wonderful teaser! I've heard him interviewed, and heard portions of his books read, but have never yet read his books myself! Must correct that oversight, definitely.

Meanwhile, my own teaser is at Bookishgal.

Catherine @ The Blonde Diaries said...

Talk about a run-on sentence. LOL.

I want to visit Britain so I'll have to put this on my Amazon list so I don't forget about it when I finally go over there. I can read it in conjunction and hopefully not feel like an outsider.

Margot said...

I love Bill Bryson but this is one I haven't read. My sister is going to England in August and I'm going to make sure she reads this.