Friday, March 6, 2009

ON FUN ~ Bobble Head Lady...


GYM RATS - #12


Oh no not I,
I will survive,
Oh as long as I know how to love,
I know I’ll stay alive,
I’ve got all my life to live,
I’ve got all my love to give,
And I’ll survive,
I will survive,
Hey, Hey!

~G. Gaynor, “I Will Survive”

Bobble Head Lady always has her earbuds in while she works out on the cross trainer, and although she has a magazine propped in front of her, more often than not she is lost in her music with her eyes shut, shaking her head back and forth like she means it.

I always wonder what exactly she is listening to that evokes such emotion. She seems to be in her 50’s, short and round, with a perky little blonde dyed bob cut that flies through the air with each emphatic shake of the head. I like to think it is something along the lines of “I Will Survive.”

The music blaring from the video screens never plays “I Will Survive.” It plays a unique variety of random crap on endless loops so I can see why people bring their own music with them. I myself don’t own an i-pod or anything like that. In fact, my headphones are the cheap plastic kind that they give you for free when you join, that fit over your head and have foam over the ear pieces. Mine finally died last week so now I can’t drown out the video music with the individual TV anymore.

Music is a great motivator while working out, but I think it is pretty odd to plug up your ears with music when you are working out with a partner. I see pairs of people all the time using the weights with their i-pods working overtime who are constantly having to turn down the volume to talk to each other. I’m sorry - what was that? Couldn’t hear you for the music - my bad. Maybe if that work out partner isn’t interesting or motivating enough it is time to fly solo.

Sometimes someone has the volume cranked up loud enough that I get the gist of what they are listening to. Rocky, for instance, completely fits the rest of his stereotype by listening to speed metal. But usually it is left to my imagination. Bobble Head Lady can create all the personal soundtrack she wants with her i-pod, but for me she will always be a Gloria Gaynor fan.

Click here for previous editions of Gym Rats

and tell us who you want to hear about next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I love GymRats! This is a good one; I can just see it!