Friday, October 30, 2009

ON SPORTS ~ That's Why They Play The Games...



So obviously while we were away on vacation we weren't blogging about fantasy football updates. But of course we were still setting our fantasy lineups, making our picks and watching the games. Because we were visiting my family and lucky for us our various hosts are fans like us. The first Sunday while we were away I was convinced I had beaten Mr. Undefeated. The Pats crushed the Titans in snowy MA and since I have Pats' QB Tom Brady and his favorite target, WR Wes Welker, I knew I had racked up a butt load of points. I couldn't wait to get to my cousin's house a few days later to get online and check the results.

I had lost. I had 74 points from just those 2 players. Hardly anyone else had shown up to play - except for the guys I had elected to leave on the bench. I ask you, when the Pats score 59 points, how is it possible that their Tight End, Ben Watson, doesn't score any points - in the real world or in my fantasy world?! Mr. Undefeated beat me by over 20 points. That was a crushing blow.

Andy however had an even worse day. He lost to Mr. Winless - aka The Commish. Someone had to do it. It gave The Commish something to be happy about that weekend - being a Titans fan and all.

It was a dismal week in the Pick 'Em Pool too. Not for Andy mind you. It was like that Seinfeld episode where everything was the opposite of the way it should be. I came in 111th and Andy was up near the top at 28th. My overall position plummeted from 6th to the mid-20's - as predicted. This is what I do. I start of strong and then fade away. Andy's good showing pulled him into the world of the 90's in rankings.

The one bright spot in the whole week was that in the Ladies League, aka Momspective, I kicked butt and creamed my opponent by over 40 points.

Last weekend I squeaked out a win in the boy's league and Andy lost again. But my pride over this win was offset first by my Momspective opponent beating me by 1 point without even trying. She had not paid attention and left her active bench players on the bench while her inactive players sat on her active roster. And I had purposefully put my best team out there. It hurts to lose in that fashion.

But not as much as coming so close to perfection and watching the Giants snatch it away from you. Just as the G-Men spoiled the Pats' perfect season by winning the Superbowl two years ago, they messed up my perfect score in the Pick 'Em Pool last week by losing to the frickin' Arizona. I had put the most possible points on the Giants to win that game and they lost. It was my only incorrect pick of the week. It cost me a winning opportunity too. Five people finished ahead of me. The top 3 get paid.

Oh well. It brought me back up into the top 10 overall. I'm now sitting in 7th. Andy was back to the bottom of the pile but managed to hang on enough to stay in 98th overall.

So this week is the big re-match between Andy and I. He won last time but I'm hoping for better results this time around - even though my ace in the holes Tom Brady & Wes Welker have a bye this week. I'll find a way. Think of the battling Bumbles this weekend when the games are on. And good luck to your teams!

ROUND-UP:
Boston Babe (Molly's Team) = Last Two Weeks, Won 1, Lost 1 - Overall, 4-3
(modifying this lineup for injuries only, ladies league)

GiselleWearsThePants (Molly's team) = Last Two Weeks, Lost 1, Won 1 - Overall, 3-4
Brady Goes To Miami (Andy's team) = Last Two Weeks, Lost 2 - Overall, 2-5
~head to head (Molly vs. Andy) = I don't want to talk about it (0-1)
(actively modifying this lineup, up against the boys)

1 comment:

ds said...

Oh, those Giants. I saw about 5 minutes of that game & even I could tell they were sloppy; Mr. L-S was practically crying, he was so angry...
Sorry for that most painful 1-pt loss, Molly. Hope this week goes better!