Thursday, July 8, 2010

ON BLOGGING ~ That's What Friends Are For...

BlogAnon: Joy of Confession

Image by Cool Text: Logo and Graphics Generator

Welcome to our weekly BlogAnon meeting where we confess a particular blogging sin and turn to you for support, suggestions and that blogging bond so we know we're not all alone. Don't be shy. Read along and let us know if you identify with us this week.

A couple of months ago, I cried out for a Blog Buddy, because I needed a boost. And the first to answer my call was Jehara. So when you see me refer to "my Blog Buddy, Jehara" I am not using the term just in the sense of an online friend. I am using her official title. She is responsible for keeping me accountable to my self-professed blogging goals. And that is no easy task.

Every two weeks, we meet online via Google Chat and share, complain, learn and energize. We can also spend our time just talking about family, friends and fun - but before we sign off we each must tell the other a goal we have set for ourselves to be accomplished by the next time we meet. Sometimes they are big goals - the announcement of a grand idea - that by verbalizing it, it will make it a reality. Forcing action. Sometimes they are simple but tedious - organization, purging, implementing a tool. But they are always goals. To keep us thinking, active and improving.

We don't always meet our goals. Sometimes they are abandoned - with reasons given. Other times they evolve. I may struggle with why a certain concept didn't go as planned, and Jehara will provide input that adds a different perspective, opening a door to an even better idea. Or I might share information with Jehara that leads her to a different conclusion - contrary to the originally stated goal. But always, we encourage each other in our goal's pursuit. Jehara has talked me into sticking with a concept that I thought had run its course. Without her Blog Buddy role, I would have abandoned it long ago. She has also taught me that goals should be manageable - not unrealistic pages full of ideas to try and cram into a short window of time. Baby steps lead to less discouragement.

We both look forward to our chats. It is nice to have another person to talk to on a regular basis who "gets" the blogging world. Holding each other accountable for goals is our main job. But building a friendship across time zones is the bonus. Before signing on to be each others Blog Buddy, we didn't know each other well. Now we keep each others secrets before the big reveals. I know what she's hoped and worked for before it ever appears in the blogosphere. And the same is true of me to her. And we also know those things that never see the light of day.

I highly recommend that every blogger find a Blog Buddy. We've talked blog design, technical issues, functional improvements, organizational tasks, post ideas, networking, concepts, focused ideas for the future, traffic, names and logos. And we've also talked TV, movies, books, weather, mottoes and spirit. We laugh, get tough and whine. And we always keep our dates. That's the best part of all. Someone on the other end to count on, no matter what.


Do you have a blogger that you enjoy reading? Or one that you have chatted with directly before? Why not reach out to them and create an official Blog Buddy arrangement? Do you think it would be better to have a Blog Buddy you already know well or someone you don't have much of a relationship with first? What is stopping you from having a Blog Buddy? Pair up with someone here in the comments, in Bumble Town or send me an e-mail if you are too shy and I'll do my best to match you up with someone.

10 comments:

Caspette said...

Such a good idea. I have a couple of informal arrangements with a couple of bloggers. Mostly just people I have added on facebook.

Might have to look into a better arrangement. Love chatting on the net :)

Matty said...

I remember your earlier post about this. It's a great idea, but as I said the last time, I losing my blogging mojo. I just don't have the drive to improve on my blogging. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll get my schwing back and if I do, I'll reach out for a buddy.

Gwen@ChewDigestBooks.com said...

Sadly, I am still on the search for a Wordpress Blogging Buddy. I have the blogger area taken care of, but want someone to bounce idea of in WP.

Sandy Nawrot said...

That is so totally cool, you guys. I do believe in accountability. This worked so well when a group of us did The Game On Diet...these were my blogging dieting buddies. I have shied away from getting a blogging buddy (well, that is not true, I would consider a handful of bloggers my buddies, including you). I mean officially, I'm not sure if I WANT to be accountable for blogging goals. I'm afraid to set goals or maybe I'm just lazy, but I guess I'm not motivated. I spend most of my time feeling overwhelmed with how much I have going on in my life, and I'm not sure I can do more. Maybe someday when my kids are in college, I live at the beach with my little white dog???

McGillicutty said...

It's a great idea. I have a few friends that I chat with and sometimes we discuss general blogging stuff but no one that I actually meet regularly online or who I can learn from/with. I love the idea though and there's lots of questions I have.
I want to move up in the bloggy world... does that make sense? So hook me up sistah... hook me up!!!!
xxxxxxx

Beth F said...

I have an unofficial buddy -- someone who tells me when I have a typo or that my links are broken. And I do the same for her. It's nice to have someone watching your back.

LJ said...

Blogging goals .... thats a new concept to me. But then again - I don't have (m)any life goals.

Crap, but that says a lot about me.

kayerj said...

I consider you my "blog advisor" and my daughter is my "blog buddy". We talk about things we like to do and read with our blogs.

soleil said...

Having you as a Blog Buddy is awesome. It has really helped me put many ideas into actions. I love our chats and knowing that someone out there knows my blogging secrets and is holding me accountable for keeping my goals. It is very motivating and inspiring. I find that instead of procrastinating like I normally do with everything else, I get going promptly on whatever that week's goal is. Building friendship is the icing on the cake. The best part if you ask me. :)

Jenny Girl said...

Blogging buddy is a great idea, especially since none of my "in-person" friends get the whole blogging thing. I
m frineds with several bloggers but not to the extent you two are. I know of the perfect person though ;)