Thursday, January 20, 2011

ON BLOGGING ~ Get Out Your Toolbox...


Image courtesy Wikimedia Commons @ WikiHow

Well, a few of you voted on the sidebar poll regarding what our monthly chat topic for next week should be and as much as I would prefer to gab about Reality TV, it seems that the majority want to have a Blog Maintenance Workshop.

To be honest - I made that choice in the poll so vague I hoped no one would actually vote for it ;0) But there it is. And it serves to motivate me - and anyone wishing to join along - in discussing and learning about blog upkeep.

I know that this weekend marks the 4th annual Bloggiesta which is hosted by Natasha at Maw Books Blog. I have never participated but am sure that some of you have or are perhaps doing so as we speak. I enjoy following along on the various posts and tips that are shared regarding how to fine tune your blog or to get inspired by all of the housecleaning going on in the blogosphere. But I don't know how anyone actually gets anything done when they are writing status posts and visiting other blogs during Bloggiesta. That would just be a big happy excuse for me to procrastinate all the boring blog upkeep I was supposed to be accomplishing.

So - come back here in a week, after your Bloggiesta hangover has healed, and we can chat about what you did or didn't accomplish, what you'd like to learn or get some help on what types of things you could be doing to make blogging easier for yourself. Setting aside one day a month or a few times a year just for behind the scenes blog work is a terrific idea - and one that Bloggiesta serves to promote quite well. Having a chat about it with other bloggers can help get your plan together. So that is what we will do next week.

Stop by anytime between 8:30PM - 10:00PM ET right HERE on 01/28 and we'll talk behind the scenes blog work and how to approach it. And who knows, maybe each monthly chat will serve to focus on a specific task or aspect to motivate you in completing your goals. So that by the end of this year, your blog will be in such tip top shape, you could run your own workshop on Bloggiesta!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I participated last year for the first time and got a lot accomplished and learned a lot. My parents are coming for the weekend and Jason and I are sneaking away to a spa, so I'll have to skip this year. So sad, I know :)

Susan said...

Maybe I'll actually get to join the chat this time, unless we go to the in-laws for the weekend. Lord knows, I need all the help I can get on maintenance!

kayerj said...

I'm not participating in the blog thing because I don't blog on weekends. I have read a couple of the articles though--maybe I'll try some of it.

Thanks for the laugh--I found your post amusing. Have a nice weekend.

Margot said...

Another fun post Molly. Thanks for the chuckles. I participate once in Blogiesta and spent so much time visiting all around that I decided to do my own thing, Actually, I follow your suggestion of devoting one day a month to maintenance. It works. See what a good influence you are.

Lisa said...

I'm doing the Bloggiesta and one of my tasks is to get my Google reader cleaned up. But that's my only distraction from actual blog work. I do a starting post and an ending post but nothing in between. Pretty much do the same thing with readathons. But I'll try to remember to be back here on Friday because I do have some coding questions!

soleil said...

I participated in bloggiesta last year. I got sooo much done I was a little amazed. I find bloggiesta to be a good motivator for doing all the stuff I put off during the year. I was going to participate this past weekend but I had to work. I have decided to focus this coming weekend on tasks I would have tackled during bloggiesta.