Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ON BOOKS ~ Quirky Girls Read...


Way back in September, I wrote a Blog Tips post about how collaboration can be a time saver in the blogosphere. In that post I created a hypothetical scenario using a book blog as an example to illustrate the group blog concept. By pure coincidence, my blog buddy, Jehara, had just set up a book blog separate from her personal blog. She decided that having others help her provide interesting content to her book blog was an attractive concept and came to me with all of her ambition and excitement about it.

I have always hung out on the fringes of the book blogging community, lacking the time or devotion to take the plunge completely with a book blog of my own. Jehara offered me an opportunity to join the community through her new group book blog that she had decided to undertake. I accepted immediately.

From that same Blog Tips post of mine, Margot of Joyfully Retired left a comment also reacting strongly to the group blogging concept. I remembered her enthusiasm about the topic and suggested that Jehara reach out to her. And so she did.

Jehara also pulled in her friends Faith and Izzy who, like me, had a big interest in books but whose blogs focused on all kinds of personal thoughts. Jehara worked tirelessly and through a debilitating bout of illness during the holiday season to organize us all towards this new collaborative effort. Together we all put our heads together to help her come to some conclusions on editorial format, style and goals.

Today is the official launch of Quirky Girls Read - Jehara's group book blog baby! I am so excited to be a part of the adventure and hope that you will head on over and check us out. As our posting begins this month, you will find a collection of reviews, thoughts, memes and discussion about all genres and topics in the literary world. It is a way for each of us to contribute to this passion of ours without having to do it all by ourselves. So far this endeavor has introduced me to some pretty cool ladies. Why not go introduce yourself to them?

7 comments:

kayerj said...

how exciting--I'll go check it out. I had a separate book blog for about a year and finally merged it with my personal blog because I got tired of maintaining two blogs. I hope this will be lots of fun for you. I do like doing group things, it makes everything more fun.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! I'll enjoy reading Quirky Girls too. I already know Margot and look forward to getting to know everyone else as well.

soleil said...

I am so glad you wrote that post!!! It inspired me immensely and I am way more excited about the book blog now that there are a bunch of us contributing. I may have gone the way of Kaye if I had kept it solo. Being responsible for content for two blogs is a lot of work!!! I can't wait to see where the group blog takes us! :D

Kathleen said...

Awesome, I'm off to check out the link right now!

ds said...

So exciting!! I am going to check the site right now. Thank you!

Lisa said...

Love the collaboration idea--it's so hard to do a book blog if you aren't reading a book or more a week. But I can't find a place on the new blog to follow posts. Am I missing it?

Unknown said...

I am, as usual, behind the times here. I want to congratulate you on your new book blog! Your group concept is very smart particularly when it comes to books which are great when shared!
I will visit shortly.

~ Amy