Sunday, April 3, 2011

ON MOVIES ~ Ladies In Orange Jumpsuits...

Feature Presentation...
MONDAY MOVIE MEME

Molly looked around for a weekly meme about movies and did not have any luck. So therefore she decided to start her own! Andy will play along as well - hopefully you will too. Go to your blog and create your own post on the topic, linking back to us in your post, then come back and leave a link to your post here in our Comments section. If you don’t have a blog, just share your response in the Comments section.

This week's movie topic is all about Women & Prison...

Nicole at The Madlab Post is all things Indy Film. She's got lots to say about her industry of choice and it would serve you well to stop by. She suggested a topic for us and we thought it best to go along, for fear of being locked up if we disobeyed. We've covered prison movies, heists and jail breaks before, but we've never focused on the fairer sex and their portrayal in the prison system. Nicole wants to focus on women who are held captive or imprisoned during a film. I would broaden that scope to include women who hold roles as guards and captors. There is one film that leaped to mind instantly, and that's the only one we're going to highlight today. Share on your blog movies that feature female prisoners, guards, or those who are accused and on their way to the Big House, linking back here. And don't forget to visit your fellow participants!
    So who would have thought that the sparklingly beautiful Charlize Theron could play the role of rough around the edges, utterly damaged and unstable Aileen Wuornos so convincingly in this 2003 "based on the true story" account of her transformation from prostitute to serial killer? I thought the story was tragic, the psyche twisted and the movie well done.

 Do you have a topic to suggest to the Monday Movie Meme? Or would you like to guest host? Let us know in the Comments section or send us an e-mail.

11 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Ew! Monster was one scary movie, and the still you chose brought it all back to me. Charlize Theron was chilling.

This was a hard one, but I came through with two.

Nicole/MadlabPost said...

It's unbelievable how Charlize Theron transformed into this vicious, troubled person. I guess it goes to show that she really devotes herself to the roles that she chooses, which helps to make for a very convincing character and an even better performance.

I never watched Monster but it may be on my Netflix list. I have no doubts that I will enjoy her performance, yet, I'll probably watch this movie only once because the story is so messed up, especially since its based on a real-life account.

Here is my post: Condition Red

Unknown said...

This one was VERY DIFFICULT, but I managed to come up with one. View the pick HERE.

Anonymous said...

Charlize was unrecognizeable in that movie. Not sure I cared for the movie, but her performance was incredible. I started my list with her costar Christina Ricci!

http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/monday-movie-meme-women-prison/

Janet said...

how funny this was your topic today! Just yesterday I took a picture of my friend Michelle in front of the Goffstown NH Women's Prison, where Pamela Smart spent time.

kayerj said...

I love that picture--although I've never seen the movie. I had a tough time with this topic. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

Unknown said...

This was a very difficult topic but I finally came up with a couple of movies.

Monster is an amazing portrayal by Charlize Theron & a creepy movie!

Nicole has a fantastic blog, thank you for sharing!

Amy's Movie List

Heather G. said...

Great topic! I could only think of two off the top of my head. http://gofita.blogspot.com/2011/04/monday-movie-meme-women-behind-bars.html

Kwizgiver said...

Talk about drawing a blank! It took me a long time to remember the name of the movie but I remembered Clair Danes was in it.

http://kwizgiver.blogspot.com/2011/04/monday-movie-meme.html

Kathleen said...

Monster is a great pick. She really did an incredible job in that movie!

Lisa said...

Interestingly, I can't think of a single "real" movie for this subject; so many of the movies that have women in prison or as guards are cheesy B movies or worse.