Wednesday, October 12, 2011

ON FUN ~ Shots Help, But Patience Is Better...


At the age of 45, writer Regina Brett wrote a column for the Cleveland Plain Dealer listing 45 lessons that life had taught her thus far. As a breast cancer survivor, many of those lessons were learned the hard way. Five years later she added five more lessons rounding her list up to 50 and turned her popular list into a book called God Never Blinks. I found her list to be entertaining, inspiring and thought provoking. I thought I would go through each of her lessons learned and write about how that lesson has or has not come up in my own life, now that I am 40 and feel old enough to have finally learned something.

"The passage of time heals almost everything. Give time time."
~ LESSON #30

I hold a grudge. I truly do. I am still pissed off at my friends who wouldn't let me play in their fantasy football league because I am a girl. I moved on and found another league to play in, and we all know how that turned out for me. So it really isn't worth my energy continuing to feel hurt and angry that my friends were sexist pigs. I'm over it. Really, I am. It did take some time though.

Heartache takes a lot of time to heal too. Missing someone you've loved. Or recognizing that they didn't love you back. Boy does that hurt. I try to employ the bend but don't break law of love myself. Never let a broken heart sink you. You are the captain of yourself, heart included. But that doesn't mean you have to go down with the ship. Hop on one of those life buoys and save yourself. After some time, you'll learn to steer through choppy waters again, and with better success.

Time doesn't make things go away. It does help take the sting off though. A drunken night out with the girls can do that too. But time doesn't give you the hangover all of those shots will.

4 comments:

Mike said...

I would have let you play if I had a league! Those bastards! lol

Sandy Nawrot said...

That would have pissed me off too! They just didn't want you to play because they knew you'd beat them. I love how your problem solver shot glass came from Indiana! Ha!

Jenny Girl said...

I would have been angry too. I think it's that sense of betrayal that takes time to get over. Time is a healer of many wounds.

Lin said...

Those boys are just afraid that you will outshine them. Really. Guys are knuckleheads like that.