Saturday, November 22, 2008

ON FOOD ~ Omelet In A Bag...


Sooo - Andy came home the other day and mentioned a friend had told him about an omelet in a bag recipe that he thought he might try. But he didn't exactly remember the recipe. So he went online and found the following. He tried it out on Molly last weekend...


1. Take 3 eggs (or 2 - we just happened to need to use up more that morning) and crack them into a large resealable freezer bag

2. Press out most of the air and seal

3. Shake or squeeze to beat the eggs

4. Open the bag and add your fixins (Andy used 1/2 chopped tomato, 1/2 chopped onion, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 large sliced Aidells Maple Turkey Sausage, and a splash of milk)

5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil

6. Place the bag(s) o' fixins into the boiling water

7. Cook for exactly 13 minutes (sounds very ominous!)

8. Open the bag and let the omelet roll out onto your plate - the omelet should roll out easily


Breakfast is served! And boy was it yummy...

It smelled so tasty Lucy popped up looking for her share

Bottom line - this was delicious, quick, easy and NO cleanup. Therefore a no brainer. Seems to me this is a perfect recipe for camping, tailgating and pretty much any Sunday morning in the Bumbles house!

4 comments:

Lynn said...

An omelet in a bag -- how ingenious! I will definitely be giving this a try. Thanks for the heads up on a great idea. :)

Natsthename said...

That is CRAZY ingenious, but I must admit that I'm not crazy about cooking in a ziploc bag. You know, all of those reports about chemical that can leak from heated plastics? Maybe it's a cool thing for camping, but I wouldn't make a habit of cooking in something that wasn't approved for actual cooking! (I know, I'm probably making too much of it!)

Toni said...

Very interesting. I was wondering what the benefit was and then you said it - NO CLEAN UP! A perfect reason every time!

Anonymous said...

I remember this post from when you first posted! I'm surprised I didn't comment. Now I understand what you meant by yours took less cleanup, since my omelet only uses a bowl, a spatula, and a pan. Ok, and maybe a cutting board and knife. *grin*