Monday, August 29, 2011

ON BOOKS ~ The Best Library Ever...


I have fond memories of reading as a child. In fact, reading and being read to are some of my earliest memories. There is nothing I enjoy more than buying my nieces and nephews some of my favorite titles each year as presents. I believe every child should have more books than they have room for - an endless collection of stories to suit each mood and fancy. To delight, educate, inspire or just send them off into slumber with sweet dreams. This was my goal for my baby Bumble.

Unbeknownst to me, for my baby shower, my sister-in-law asked that each guest include a favorite book in their gift and personalize it with an inscription. It could be a favorite book from their childhood or a book that was loved by their own children. Each contribution became a building block for our child's first library.

Because there would be so many books, the women who hosted my shower knew that a bookcase would be needed to hold them all. So they purchased one together, painted it and stenciled it to match our nursery's theme. As the shower progressed, they set aside all of the books that I opened within the gifts, arranged them in the bookcase and then carried the filled bookcase out at the end of the shower to present it to me as a surprise.

I was so touched by the thought, effort, time and personalization involved in the creation of this new library for our little one. My one-year old niece toddled out and quickly selected a book from the bookcase and sat in the small wooden rocking chair handed down to us from a very kind family member. What a seal of approval!

We received many amazing gifts that day, many of which we registered for. The most treasured was the bookcase and the piles of books - some classics that I was familiar with and some new publications that I look forward to discovering with our son. You can register for and purchase all of the fancy inventions that the baby business says you need to have. But you will always remember the gifts that come from the heart, not a wish list. Because of some creative and special women who planned and attended my shower, baby Sammy now has the best library ever. The best way I know to thank them is to make sure he grows up to be a voracious reader - like his mom.

15 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

What a wonderful idea for a shower! I bet you (all) will cherish the books forever!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

This is a grand idea. I love personal libraries.

Lisa said...

What a marvelous gift; something I'm sure that Sammy will pass down when he has children!

Kaye said...

That is one fantastic idea! The best gifts for kids are books.

ds said...

Such a wonderful idea! Lucky Sam--lucky you! May you spend many happy hours reading all of those books.

Janet said...

what a great idea! I'm always afraid to get something not on the wish list because a friend of mine once said, well, doh, that's what wish lists are for!

Sandy Nawrot said...

That has to be the coolest shower gift I've even heard of. You are blessed with some very special friends!

Lin said...

GREAT idea! I love children's books. We have saved so many from my kid's childhood because they have such great memories of laying in bed reading them together.

My favs: Henry and Mudge, Mr. Putter and Tabby, anything by Kevin Heinke, and some really odd, but equally wonderful books we've picked up over the years.

I wish you all many happy nights of reading together! Kids books are the BEST! (And I don't mean Dr. Seuss--I never liked his silly, wacky nonsense books. Blech.)

kayerj said...

what a wonderful shower idea--I may have to steal that for my youngest daughter when she has a baby. She has always been a voracious reader as well. I love the personal aspect of it as well. Those are some very thoughtful friends. My favorite childhood stories that I wanted read over and over were the mother goose nursery rhymes. I think I've worn out 3 books and several records (that sang the rhymes) over the course of raising 5 children. I'm sure you and Sammy will have many treasured memories connected with books and being cuddled in mommy's lap.

Anonymous said...

OMG ~ cool! When my little girl was little I would read at least three books a night before bed. Visiting the library was quite the trip... lol.
I'm from Mass originally too!

Come visit, I need some marketing ideas ~ read more on my blog

Kathleen said...

This is an incredible gift Molly! What a wonderful way for your new baby boy to be introduced to books!

Anonymous said...

I've been to showers where we had to bring a favorite book (I usually take Guess How Much I Love You with the baby bunny) but never with the awesome presentation of the bookcase. You do have great friends :)

Margot said...

I am teary-eyed reading this post. What wonderful friends and family you have. It was the perfect gift for a book lover like you as well as for Baby Bumble. Your little guy will be the best read kid long before he gets to preschool.

Jenny Girl said...

Awesome! I always give books for baby showers. Never too early to start the reading habit :)
I'm sure Sammy will be a prolific reader.

soleil said...

What a great idea!! You have some very thoughtful and creative friends.