Monday, October 4, 2010

ON SPORTS ~ Take It To The Bank...


Well, I did it. After six months of spending more hours watching fantasy baseball stats than blogging I was rewarded with a victory in my first every fantasy baseball league!!! My mother asked me when we were on our family vacation how much time I wasted playing around with that stuff. I don't consider it wasteful when it results in a cool $200 deposit in the old bank account.

You may recall that this league consisted of 10 people - myself and 9 guys. This is a league Andy has played in for several years. When I joined their football league last fall and won that championship they decided my ability was proven enough to join the baseball league as well. I was terrific out of the gate for the first month. Then I gave up to the lead to The Commish due to some key injuries to my roster. I sparred with him innocently enough way back then and it resulted in me getting under his skin enough to cause him to play pretty crazy, trying to shake that gnat of a girl who just wouldn't fall behind. Just when he'd built up a pretty impressive lead, my pitcher threw a perfect game which vaulted me right back up near the top where I lingered for the rest of the season.

In the end, it came down to myself versus The Commish for all the marbles on the final day of the season. Mine was a team of sluggers and a rotating door of pitchers off the scrap heap. His was a formidable pitching rotation and a consistent offense of speed and production. We both had key injuries. I overcame an implosion by my best reliever and pulled off a key trade to solidify my starting pitching staff for the final months - one that The Commish tried his best to block. Our total pitchers' innings were capped out at a set limit for the season and my only chance was to manage the use of those innings better than him. And so I did.

Over the last week of the season I built up a 100 point lead. On the last day of the season he roared back but fell 20 points shy. I almost had a heart attack. But Andy kept me calm and told me I had it in the bag. And so I did.

Now I wait for my payday for all of that hard work. To show my mom that just like she always taught me, if you put your mind to it, you can succeed at anything. Somehow I don't think she had gambling on fantasy sports in mind. Good thing I do. Because I've got two fantasy football leagues waiting for my full attention and a never ending shed project to pay for ;0)

5 comments:

ds said...

Woo hoo! Well done--the fantasy football guys should be afraid. Very afraid.

Sandy Nawrot said...

That shed isn't done yet? Wasn't Andy supposed to have a shed party one weekend? Do I have to come up there and lend my skillz?

Nothing gives me more happiness than seeing you squish those boys. You rock!

Kathleen said...

Congratulations on beating all the boys and winning some money!

Matty said...

Maybe you should manage the Red Sox. LOL

Congratulations Molly!

Tami said...

You go, Girl! Ok - that sounds really stupid coming from a nearly-50 woman. Sorry. But still, I'm so excited that you beat the guys. My fantasy football league flopped this year - poor management by the league leader (my son) so we never really got off the ground - so I'm counting on you to take it all for the girls.